Beauty in Flight Collection 2018

Beauty in Flight Collection
 Inspired by the photographs taken by my friend, Gerald,



I first came across Gerald’s (The Kiasu Photographer) bird photographs many months ago when he would share them on his personal Facebook page. I “liked” most of them because of the beautiful colours and composition; and those shots of the birds in action!  They were stunning! All these photos were a result of his hours and days of waiting for the birds to come out to play.
 
Since my last collection in May, The Nihon Collection, I toyed with a few ideas, but nothing stayed with me as long and as passionately as Gerald’s photos, especially of the brightly coloured birds.



To me, the most creative one on earth is the God who made every single one of us, as well as everything on this earth. These five birds are just a handful of the thousands He has made. There are so many just in tiny Singapore, imagine how many more beauties there are in this whole world!

 
The colours on the Kingfishers in particular, to me, are so beautiful, how the colours don’t match by our world’s standards, but perfectly blend with one another on the little canvases of their bodies.

As I narrowed down my choices of birds I wanted to use as inspiration for the earrings, I also realistically tried to think of the colours of gemstones I had. Some pairs were easy, I knew which stones to use, the hard part was figuring out different designs.


  To be honest, this collection is a selfish one. I didn’t do it because I wanted to launch a collection that would make money. I did it out of pure passion, I wanted to challenge myself creatively without confining myself to budget, other’s ideas, or worries about whether it would sell or not. My main motivation was to try my best to have my ideas come alive through form, colour, and wearability. 

I used the best of each kind of stone, and wrapped them (as always) with utmost care. I made many adjustments mid way, wasted plenty of 14k gold filled wire, swopped out stones, spent hours on just one side, to make sure it all hung well, and looked beautiful.


Here is a collection I can proudly say, I am very happy with and would gladly wear myself. I have tried to showcase the earrings worn with casual wear, to show that we don’t really need an occasion to wear these pieces. 

Just like the baroque pearl earrings, Jen, my good friend and model, wore them with an outfit one would probably put on during the weekend, to a beach holiday, but could easily also go with your corporate clothes.  Or the colourful sunstone piece, it was Jen’s idea to match it with her stunning red, maxi dress, and what an amazing choice it was, to play off the colours of the earrings! 

 I hope you have enjoyed this small collection of earrings I put so much thought, heart and soul, and time into materializing. Each of the links will guide you to the individual earrings, where I have written more about each piece, and have added more photographs.

May the holiday season be one spent with your closest and dearest, may it be filled with love and laughter as you gather, and may God bless you and your family to understand and know His deep and everlasting love for all of you. 

 Lots of love,
Jo



Comments